Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Day America Grew Up

I've seen person-on-the-street-reports of the palpable calm in these new days after the election, and I can say, hand on heart, I feel it too - in myself and others. Drivers are less reckless and more considerate of others, people seem just a tad lighter in themselves, and most of us seem happier.

I believe 4th November 2008 will go down in the annals of history as the day America grew up.

Statesmanship, eloquence, erudition, hope, vision, passion, inspiration and dignity have finally come back to the fore. The revolution in values has begun. With a bit of luck, profit as the highest value has seen it's best days, never to be seen again.

Not only is this badly needed shift in values on the horizon, we finally heard and heeded the wisdom of an African American. Yes we did! We are now worthy of the noble and beautiful hopes of Dr. King, we have judged a man by the content of his character, not the color of his skin.

I say well done us! We've demonstrated to the world that we've grown up and are ready to join the rest of the civilized nations on this planet.

We've also freed our citizens from some of the psychic baggage of slavery with this result, and I look forward to what hopefully becomes a lasting and genuine detente on our streets and in our world.

1 comment:

Melanie D. said...

yes, it's all so wonderful - amen!